Recipe of the Week – Mexican Quinoa
Do you guys have ever an evening where you can’t be bothered to go the store (or haven’t been in a week) and you are in need of an easy, last minute dinner? This is the recipe for you! This recipe for Mexican Quinoa is adapted from Damn Delicious and it is so easy to throw together! A couple excellent things about this recipe – is just as good when you “choose your own adventure” and add whatever extras you want, it only uses 1 pan, and it’s easy to have all the ingredients in your kitchen at any given time.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup chicken broth (or more as needed)
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 can of corn kernels
- 1-2 teaspoons Taco Seasoning
- Optional – leftover meat (I just happened to have steak in my fridge, but chicken works great to! This is also excellent for a “meatless Monday” recipe).
- Whatever taco type toppings you prefer – avocado, lime, cilantro, pico de gallo, etc.
First, I sauteed the onion, green pepper and garlic until the veggies were just shy of cooked.
Next, I added in the quinoa, black beans, corn, tomatoes (with juice) and the chicken broth and mixed everything together.
Then, I put the lid on and let the quinoa cook. I did stir occasionally and ended up adding an additional 1/4 cup of chicken broth so the mixture didn’t dry out. Once the quinoa is cooked, it’s ready to eat!
This meal is so easy, and could not be faster to bring together. I usually have every ingredient in my fridge and pantry at any given time, which makes this a great staple meal to have under your belt.
What kitchen adventures have you guys been having? Let me know in the comments below!