Coach G’s Nutrition Corner: Set yourself up for success this Holiday Season!
By Garrett Rolsma
Set yourself up for success this Holiday Season!
With summer and sun behind us, it is now time to look forward to the family dinners, office parties, and late nights with friends. Do yourself a favor and prepare to get the most out of the holiday season, without all the guilt next year. Here are a few occasions that you might see coming and ways to get the most out of them.
Thanksgiving Dinner/Family Dinner:
· Eat slowly! One of the best ways to prevent over eating is to simply slow down. Enjoy the food and company, take your time.
· Use small plates! When you shrink down the size of your food delivery system, you will also eat slower and potentially less. You can always go back for seconds.
· Plan for leftovers! Enjoy the meal in the moment and know that you can always take-home leftovers for another meal the next day. Just because it is in front of you, does not mean you must finish it.
Holiday Parties/Cocktail Parties:
· BYOB! Bring your own beverage! Whatever the occasion, plan to bring your own drink to share. Make it a goal to only consume the beverage that you selected to bring, this will help you from trying the endless numbers of other drink options. If you see a drink that looks great, ask for the recipe and try it another day.
· Water down between! If you are having more than one drink, have a glass of water between. This will slow down your consumption and help you stay slightly more hydrated.
· Eat before you go! Having dinner before you head to a party will help curb your munchies. There will most likely be snacks and all sorts of food, but if you eat before, you could potentially cut back on the mindless snacking.